Why Occupational Therapy?

 




    So, here is the big question: Why Occupational Therapy? Why did I choose it? The answer is simple but at the same time can be very complex. Most people dreamed of their goals when they were younger, but I would always jump from one career path to another. I have always found joy in helping others by volunteering my time with disabled children and older adults, but I never realized a career path existed that I would fully enjoy, like Occupational Therapy. Throughout my time working with these special people, one older man that had cerebral palsy sparked my interest. I was so amazed that he was able to perform so many tasks by himself with adaptive skills. I learned very quickly the need for caregivers of disabled children and adults by working with them at Vacation Bible School. Vacation Bible School lasted 2 to 4 hours out of the day, so what about the other hours of the day? Most people do not realize the amount of care needed or what exactly goes into a the care for a person with disabilities, and this made me start looking into the healthcare field. 

    Fast forward to my freshman year of college and I finally figure out my calling. My brother and his wife received a call that they would possibly have the opportunity to adopt a child with the due date of May 2, 2019. With very little notice, the baby was born on January 23, 2019, so he was only 25 weeks old! He only weighed 2 pounds, and he had countless brain bleeds and health problems. They simply told us he would not survive and if he did, it would possibly end with him having cerebral palsy and little purpose. Of course, I immediately I thought of the sweet and capable man at Vacation Bible School. He had cerebral palsy, but he lived a happy and fulfilled life. So, my family constantly prayed and visited him while he was in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. This is where I had the opportunity to see an Occupational Therapist in action with my nephew! I was so intrigued, and I knew I could see myself doing this for the rest of my life. Despite all of the negative opinions and comments, this child is flourishing with very little deficiencies. He is a reminder to me that good things do happen, and we can have faith in our profession. Him and so many others have had purposeful lives despite their challenges. I cannot wait for my future as an Occupational Therapist, and I am so excited to see how I grow throughout this program at UTHSC!






Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing the story of your path into OT! I hope I get to meet your nephew one day :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Intervention for Feeding

Mobility and Transfers in OT