The Biomechanics of Putting in Contacts

 One action that is a part of my daily routine is putting in my contacts. This movement involves the elbow joint. My elbow starts in an extended position as I reach for my contacts, and my elbow flexes as I bring the contact towards my eye. This movement occurs in the sagittal plane and frontal axis. This joint moves in flexion and extension, and it is an open chain due to the distal segment moving freely compared to the proximal portion. As I reach for the contact, my elbow is extended, which is considered eccentric contraction. Once my elbow flexes to bring my contact to my face, this creates a concentric contraction. The prime mover is the bicep. The arthrokinematics of the elbow are shown as the ulna (concave portion) rolls and glides anteriorly against the humerus (convex surface). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intervention for Feeding

Mobility and Transfers in OT