Advertising Effects on the Brain

    Regions in the brain that involve emotions and decision-making tend to experience higher activity levels or simulation when watching advertisements. The amygdala, hippocampus, orbitofrontal and the anterior cingulate regions control what we feel and what we do. Researchers have found that advertisement is just a level of manipulation used to get a person to buy a product or whatever is being shown. Advertisements can be tricky and can influence your mind to have irrational thinking when engaged.  Thinking of past times, I can remember sitting in front of the television as a kid, and I hated when an advertisement would come on. I would be so aggravated at the fact my show was interrupted. Although I showed aggravation, my brain was still intrigued. Subconsciously, I was drawn right into the trap of irrational thinking. I wanted every toy on the screen and my brain was going right into the trap that marketers placed for certain audiences. 

 

    One advertisement that I decided to talk about is the Allstate Insurance Mayhem Man. The star of the advertisement is Dean Winters, and he also has roles in other shows, movies, and series. If a viewer already likes this actor, the mind can make the viewer think that this actor is trustworthy, further influencing a more persuasive message pertaining to that particular insurance company. Although these videos are a bit longer than normal advertisements, they still serve their purpose. My family and I see the Mayhem Man in his skits as hilarious, but many others are being drawn in subconsciously without realizing it. The ultimate goal in this advertisement is to encourage you to buy insurance. They show the Mayhem Man as an inconvenient accident, and they then give a reason as to why the audience should choose them as their insurance company. This is not necessarily a scare tactic, but it does make viewers start to wonder what they would do if one of these realistic scenarios happens. The humor of the advertisements is what draws me in, but I do not make irrational decisions on making a purchase for insurance yet because I am not at the age to do so. Just like I stated before, the hippocampus, amygdala, orbitofrontal and the anterior cingulate regions control the states of emotions, level of consciousness, memory, and decision-making when watching an advertisement. 

    In this case, be wary of what you play and watch on the television. There is always a scheme going on to make you invest in a product. Protect yourself and your mind because you are not always in good hands!

    

I have attached links under the photos of two different Mayhem Allstate advertisements.


"I'm a teenage girl in a pink truck..."


https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2zsy6u
"I'm a hot babe out jogging..."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intervention for Feeding

Mobility and Transfers in OT