Spinal Cord Injury

    

@roshreview

    After watching the video documentary of Sophia’s life after her injury, I have learned that the treatment is what you make it. She injured her C4-5 vertebrae riding a horse and could not move collarbone down. She has no hand function and partial paralysis of the arms.  She has 24 hour care, but she makes sure to have her own independence as an adult. I loved that her parents decided to move in the country because she wanted to, and I loved that they bought a small adapted home right next to put right next to theirs. I feel like this does give her more privacy and allows her to feel more independent. We recently talked about how houses to have to be modified to fit  a wheelchair, hospital bed, and any other equipment. After learning about each level of spinal cord injury, I think being able to see what she can do on her own gave me a better understanding each level. 

 

    I chose this topic because I am partial interested in learning more about equine/hippo therapy. I did not know exactly what to expect when picking this topic, but I am happy I did. She has an inspiring story of persevering no matter the injury and she is proving doctors wrong. I would recommend this video to others because we do see a lot of people lose faith and not see a point in therapy after accidents. Some do not think it is important or that it is not helping them in anyway. She has displayed in this video that she will not give up, and she will try everything possible to regain as much independence as possible. I think it is inspiring for us as therapists to say it can happen, and that sometimes putting your all into yourself and health will result in a positive outcome. I loved her ending the video with the quote “Your legs stop, but your life doesn’t.” I love her outlook on life, and I think this can be inspiring to so many others with injuries like this. 


 

Malthus, S.(2018. May 28). Life as a quadriplegic. Attitude. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voPlqTOdVU8

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intervention for Feeding

Mobility and Transfers in OT